Side Sewer Permit - SDCI (2024)

What Is It?

A side sewer is a pipe system that carries wastewater and/or drainage water from the plumbing and downspouts of your building to the public sewer system or outlet. This includes the pipe system up to, but not including, the connection to the public main. A side sewer includes all the piping located outside the building footprint. The entire side sewer is owned and maintained by the property owner. All the piping inside your building is considered plumbing and is regulated, permitted, and inspected by Seattle-King County Public Health.

A side sewer permit allows you to work on a side sewer, including new installations, alterations, repairs, pipe abandonment, relocations, removals, and temporary groundwater removal work (usually for large projects). Both sanitary and drainage lines may be included on the same permit application.

Note: You must now apply for your side sewer permit online. Below are some key documents and forms. See step 2, below, for all forms.

  • Side Sewer Construction FAQ
  • King County Sewage Treatment Capacity Charge - Residential Sewer Use Certification
  • King County Sewage Treatment Capacity Charge - Non-Residential Sewer Use Certification
  • King County Sewage Treatment Capacity Charge - Alternative Housing Sewer Use Certification

How Much Does It Cost?

Side sewer permit fees vary based on the scope of work.

  • A sanitary repair permit for work on private property generally costs $280 (includes one to two inspections)
  • A drainage repair permit for work on private property generally costs $375 (includes one to two inspections)
  • An addition / alteration permit generally costs $375 (includes one to two inspections)
  • A new construction permit costs $375 each for sanitary and storm ($750 total), plus fees for any required recording documents (includes one to four inspections)

We bill additional inspections at our hourly rate.

If you are working in the public right-of-way, you need to pay an additional one-hour Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) inspection fee.

For more information on fees, see the list of fees by category. See our Fee Subtitle for details.

Drainage & Wastewater Core Tap Charges

Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) charges core tap and core tap inspection fees. See SPU's Director's Rule for the current fees.

  • SPU Director's Rule FIN-220.2, Development Charges – November 1, 2023

How Long does It Take?

We will process side sewer repair and additions/alterations permits by the end of the next business day from when you submit your application.

We will process side sewer permits associated with new construction permits within three business days from the time you submit your application.

Please note that if you give us incomplete or incorrect information, it may result in processing delays due to additional correspondence and/or the withdrawal (cancellation) of the permit application.

Processing times may vary if you submit your application on a City holiday.

Steps to Get Your Permit

Determine restrictions to your project. Read the Side Sewer Code to understand the rules that apply to your project.

  • Director's Rule 4-2011,
  • Director's Rule 5-2011, Side Sewer Enforcement
  • Tip 503, How to apply for Side Sewer Permits
  • Tip 504, How to prepare a Side Sewer As-Built Plan
  • Traffic Control Manual for In-Street Work
  • Core Tap Procedures for Storm and Sewer Mains

Find incentives for your project. Research the City's different incentives that might apply to your project.

  • Stormwater Facility Credit

All Side Sewer Permits are now issued online through the Seattle Service Portal. We won't accept paper applications anymore. We are available to assist you with the portal and online application in-person at the Drainage and Side Sewer Counter in the Applicant Service Center.

When you need to conduct work in the ROW, you need a separate SDOT permit in addition to your SDCI side sewer permit. You can request that we create an SDOT permit application as part of your side sewer permit application, or you can apply separately. (See How Do I Apply for a Street Use Side Sewer Permit for instructions.)

The Registered Side Sewer Contractor (RSSC) Program is no longer active. For questions about the program cancellation, please email

Prepare your plans.

  • For addition / alteration construction permits you need an application and a copy of your approved building permit plans
  • For new construction permits
  • Apply online through the Seattle Services Portal.

You may be required to fill out some of these documents depending on the project.

  • Side Sewer Easem*nt
  • Side Sewer Release and Indemnification Agreement
  • Side Sewer Joint Use and Maintenance Agreement
  • Side Sewer Evaluation and Certification Form
  • Certification / Attestation of Mailing Notification Form
  • King County Sewage Treatment Capacity Charge - Residential Sewer Use Certification
  • King County Sewage Treatment Capacity Charge - Non-Residential Sewer Use Certification
  • King County Sewage Treatment Capacity Charge - Alternative Housing Sewer Use Certification

Special conditions forms (these are rarely needed):

  • Out of City Agreement
  • Public Place Indemnification
  • Side Sewer Release Agreement
  • Special Sewer Connection Charge Contract
  • Temporary Sewer Connection Agreement

Coordinate with other agencies. You may need permits or approvals from other agencies. These are the most common agencies you may need to work with for your permit type:

  • Seattle Business Licensing
  • Seattle Department of Transportation
  • Seattle Labor Standards – Hiring Independent Contractors
  • Seattle Public Utilities
  • SDOT CAM 2102, Certificate of Liability Insurance

Submit all required materials through the Seattle Services Portal. You will receive notice to pay fees once the application has been processed and approved. Your permit will be issued once the required fees have been paid. You may also receive notice that additional information is required prior to approval.

Emergency work is allowed without getting a permit in advance, but a permit and inspections must be obtained from us the next business day.

Know when to call. You need to request a side sewer inspection before you cover your side sewer pipe.

Contact us. Call our 24-hour inspection request line at (206) 684-8900 before 7:00 a.m. on the day you need the inspection.

Coordinate with other agencies.

  • Contact Seattle Public Utilities at (206) 615-0511 to schedule a core tap
  • Contact the SDOT Job Start Notification Hotline at (206) 684-5270 48-hours before starting work in the public right-of-way

Contact us. Email to renew or extend your side sewer permit. The renewal or extension request must come from the permit applicant.

Side Sewer Permit - SDCI (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Clemencia Bogisich Ret

Last Updated:

Views: 5924

Rating: 5 / 5 (60 voted)

Reviews: 83% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Clemencia Bogisich Ret

Birthday: 2001-07-17

Address: Suite 794 53887 Geri Spring, West Cristentown, KY 54855

Phone: +5934435460663

Job: Central Hospitality Director

Hobby: Yoga, Electronics, Rafting, Lockpicking, Inline skating, Puzzles, scrapbook

Introduction: My name is Clemencia Bogisich Ret, I am a super, outstanding, graceful, friendly, vast, comfortable, agreeable person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.